Wednesday, April 2, 2008

35 Week Update

We had an exciting weekend! We think our little one tried to show up early! On Saturday night, I started to have contractions that were strong enough to wake me up. I talked to one of the midwives and she gave instructions to keep track of them and call her if they became more frequent, etc. By Sunday morning, they were getting even more frequent, so she recommended that we meet her at the Mother and Child Hospital for monitoring. While we were there, the contractions slowed considerably without medical intervention. The midwife reported that I am 2 centimeters dilated already and that these contractions are the real thing (as opposed to the Braxton-Hicks). I was instructed to rest the remainder of Sunday and Monday as well. The contractions came and went on Sunday and were few on Monday. Ideally, the baby shouldn't be born before 37 weeks, which is considered full term. At this point, he still has a small chance of experiencing some developmental setbacks, so we need to keep him on the inside for a couple more weeks. This may cause me to have to do a bit of bedrest or I may have to take a drug to stop the contractions (which is controversial and the LAST option on our list after looking up the side effects for mom and baby).
Even after a full day of work today (taking it easy there too, of course), the contractions are few, so I think we have conquered them for now. I only have 2 more days of work anyway, so I think I can make it. We'll keep you updated!

No comments: